Development of Polyaniline Based Anion Exchange Membrane for the Separation of Lactic Acid via Electrodialysis
Khurram, Asif Ali Qaiser, Abdul Ghaffar, Aisha Munawar, Naveed Shahzad Ali, Tousif Hussain, Rashid Saleem
Российский электрохимический журнал
Nowadays, industrial waste from feedstock contains a lot of organic acids, which are being discharged into the water streams causing environment load with wastage of resources. Electrodialysis performs an important role in wastewater treatment. In this study, we have prepared different anion exchange membranes, by casting solution of poly(vinylchloride-co-vinylacetate) (PVC–VA) with uniformly dispersed micronized anion exchange resin (polystyrene–divinylbenzene–trimethyl ammonium chloride) (PS–DVB–TAC). These membranes were also processed for the deposition of polyaniline at different time intervals by in situ polymerization. The cation exchange membrane (CEM) was also produced by casting a solution, containing (PVC–VA) with micronized cation exchange resin [sulfonated poly(styrene-co-divinylbenzene)] (SPS–DVB). The separation of the model solution of lactic acid was performed by using anion exchange membrane (with coated/without coated PANI) and cation exchange membranes (CEM) in a four-compartment electrodialyzer at same voltage. These different modified forms of anion exchange membranes were characterized by FTIR/ATR for identification of functionalities within the polymer chain, SEM analysis for surface morphology, TGA for thermal stability and a four-probe method for electrical conductivity of membranes. While, % age of water uptake and ion exchange capacity were also determined. The results of electrodialysis showed that the 14.78% of the lactate ions moved through anion exchange membrane (without a coating of PANI) to the product compartment within 30 min of the experiment at (30 V). While, the membranes with polyaniline’s coating time 2, 12, and 24 h have separation efficiency of lactic acid 21.65, 27.46, and 33.36% respectively at the same voltage. The results clearly showed that higher PANI coating has a positive trend in the separation of lactic acid. This separation technique has a great potential in the separation of organic acids and amino acids from a feedstock of microbial fermentation at an industrial scale.
- Department of Chemistry, University of Engineering and Technology, 54890, Lahore, Pakistan Khurram, Abdul Ghaffar, Aisha Munawar & Naveed Shahzad Ali
- Department of Polymer and Process Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, 54890, Lahore, PakistanAsif Ali Qaiser
- Center for Advanced Studies in Physics, GC University, 54000, Lahore, PakistanTousif Hussain
- Department of Chemistry, GC University, 54000, Lahore, PakistanRashid Saleem
- Qaiser, A.A., Hyland, M.M., and Patterson, D.A., Control of polyaniline deposition on microporous cellulose ester membranes by in situ chemical polymerization, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2009, vol. 113, p. 14986.
- Rohani, R., Yusoff, I.I., and Efdi, F.A.M., Polyaniline composite membranes synthesis in presence of various acid dopants for pressure filtration, J. Kejuruteraan, 2017, vol. 29, p. 121.
- Shkirskaya, S.A., Senchikhin, I.N., Kononenko, N.A., and Roldugin, V.I., Effect of polyaniline on the stability of electrotransport characteristics and thermochemical properties of sulfocationite membranes with different polymer matrices, Russ. J. Electrochem., 2017, vol. 53, p. 78.
- Loza, N.V., Loza, S.A., Kononenko, N.A., and Magalyanov, A.V., Ion transport in sulfuric acid solution through anisotropic composites based on heterogeneous membranes and polyaniline, Pet. Chem., 2015, vol. 55, p. 724.
- Montes-Rojas, A., Rentería, J.A.Q., and Chávez, N.B.J., Influence of anion hydration status on selective properties of a commercial anion exchange membrane electrochemically impregnated with polyaniline deposits, RSC Adv., 2017, vol. 7, p. 25208.
- Sairam, M., Nataraj, S.K., and Aminabhavi, T.M., Polyaniline membranes for separation and purification of gases, liquids, and electrolyte solutions, Sep. Purif. Rev., 2006, vol. 35, p. 249.
- Amado, F.D.R., Rodrigues, L.F., and Rodrigues, M.A.S., Development of polyurethane/polyaniline membranes for zinc recovery through electrodialysis, Desalination, 2005, vol. 186, p. 199.
- Nagarale, R.K., Gohil, G.S., and Shahi, V.K., Preparation and electrochemical characterization of cation- and anion-exchange/polyaniline composite membranes, J. Colloid. Interface Sci., 2004, vol. 277, p. 162.
- Stejskal, J., Sapurina, I., and Trchová, M., Polyaniline nanostructures and the role of aniline oligomers in their formation, Prog. Polym. Sci., 2010, vol. 35, p. 1420.
- Hosseini, S.M., Jeddi, F., and Nemati, M., Fabrication of mixed matrix heterogeneous ion exchange membrane by multiwalled carbon nanotubes: electrochemical characterization and transport properties of mono and bivalent cations, Desalination, 2014, vol. 341, p. 107.
- Ćirić-Marjanović, G., Recent advances in polyaniline research: polymerization mechanisms, structural aspects, properties and applications, Synth. Met., 2013, vol. 177, p. 1.
- Zhao, S., Wang, Z., and Wei, X., Performance improvement of polysulfone ultrafiltration membrane using PANiEB as both pore forming agent and hydrophilic modifier, J. Membr. Sci., 2011, vol. 385, p. 251.
- Qaiser, A.A., Hyland, M.M., and Patterson, D.A., Surface and charge transport characterization of polyaniline-cellulose acetate composite membranes, J. Phys. Chem. B, 2011, vol. 115, p. 1652.
- Farrokhzad, H., Moghbeli, M.R., Van Gerven, T., and Van der Bruggen, B., Surface modification of composite ion exchange membranes by polyaniline, React. Funct. Polym., 2015, vol. 86, p. 161.
- Hosseini, S.M., Jashni, E., Habibi, M., and Van der Bruggen, B., Fabrication of novel electrodialysis heterogeneous ion exchange membranes by incorporating PANI/GO functionalized composite nanoplates, Ionics, 2018, vol. 24, p. 1789.
- Blinova, N.V., Stejskal, J., Frechet, J.M.J., and Svec, F., Effect of reaction conditions on film morphology of polyaniline composite membranes for gas separation, J. Polym. Sci. A: Polym. Chem., 2012, vol. 50, p. 3077.
- Chinn, D. and Janata, J., Spin-cast thin films of polyaniline, Thin Solid Films, 1994, vol. 252, p. 145.
- Sapurina, I., Riede, A., and Stejskal, J., In-situ polymerized polyaniline films: 3. Film formation, Synth. Met., 2001, vol. 123, p. 503.
- Wang, P.C., Huang, Z., and MacDiarmid, A.G., Critical dependency of the conductivity of polypyrrole and polyaniline films on the hydrophobicity/hydrophilicity of the substrate surface, Synth. Met., 1999, vol. 101, p. 852.
- Xu, T. and Huang, C., Electrodialysis-based separation technologies: a critical review, AIChE J., 2008, vol. 54, p. 3147.
- Eliseeva, T.V., Shaposhnik, V.A., Krisilova, E.V., and Bukhovets, A.E., Transport of basic amino acids through the ion-exchange membranes and their recovery by electrodialysis, Desalination, 2009, vol. 241, p. 86.
- Doležel, M. and Machuča, L., Production of lactic acid by ion substitution in 3-compartment electrodialysis and comparing of stack arrangements, Period. Polytech.-Chem., 2015, vol. 59, p. 247.
- Lech, M. and Trusek, A., Batch electrodialysis of lactic acid obtained from LAB fermentation, Pol. J. Chem. Tech., 2018, vol. 20, p. 81.
- Hábová, V., Melzoch, K., Rychtera, M., and Sekavová, B., Electrodialysis as a useful technique for lactic acid separation from a model solution and a fermentation broth, Desalination, 2004, vol. 162, p. 361.
- Hassanvand, A., Wei, K., Talebi, S., Chen, G.Q., and Kentish, S.E., The role of ion exchange membranes in membrane capacitive deionisation, Membranes, 2017, vol. 7, p. 54.
- Ezzeldin, H.A., Apblett, A., and Foutch, G.L., Synthesis and properties of anion exchangers derived from chloromethyl styrene codivinylbenzene and their use in water treatment, Int. J. Polym. Sci., 2010, vol. 2010, p. 1.
- Sharma, S., Dinda, M., Sharma, C.R., and Ghosh, P.K., A safer route for preparation of anion exchange membrane from inter-polymer film and performance evaluation in electrodialytic application, J. Membr. Sci., 2014, vol. 459, p. 122.
- Guo, R.-Q., Wang, B.-B., Jia, Y.-X., and Wang, M., Development of acid block anion exchange membrane by structure design and its possible application in waste acid recovery, Sep. Purif. Technol., 2017, vol. 186, p. 188.
- Malik, M.S., Qaiser, A.A., and Arif, M.A., Structural and electrochemical studies of heterogeneous ion exchange membranes based on polyaniline-coated cation exchange resin particles, RSC Adv., 2016, vol. 6, p. 115046.
- Galíková, A., Šubrt, J., Bastl, Z., and Kupčík, J., Thermal degradation of poly(vinyl chloride-co-vinyl acetate) and its laser-derived analogue, Thermochim. Acta, 2006, vol. 447, p. 75.
- Smits, F.M., Measurement of sheet resistivities with the four-point probe, Bell Syst. Tech. J., 1958, vol. 37, p. 711.